Friday, November 18, 2005

Why bacon greese should stay on the bus.

Poor Miss Brown and her 47 Hustle has been having a rough time on the bus. Well here's a tale to lift her spirits as I promised in her comment area. On the first day of Spring, March 21, 1976, my father was getting on a bus in NYC to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. He'd been going to the Met a lot lately as he was getting a divorce from his wife. Because of their 6 kids he still lived at home but slept on the couch. So he spent a lot of time alone contemplating at the museum. Mind you this is a man who lived with his folks till he was drafted in WWII and then moved back in with them till her married in 1949 at age 26 when he moved in with his wife. He had never lived alone in his life, nor was that going to change. And on this very special day when he boarded the bus there were only two people filling seats, one of whom was Susan Decker of Manhattan, New York. My father made his way over and sat beside her and they began to talk and struck up quite a nice little conversation. He had just "updated" his wardrobe, which in 1976 meant HUGE lapels on his button down shirt. My mother was on her way to meet two of her cousins for a "fancy lunch" at The Plaza Hotel. Her stop came sooner than they were prepared for and when Susan got off, my father did not. That is until a minute later when he made the driver stop blocks before the next stop so he could get off and run back to the Plaza where he made his way through the crowds of people till he found my mother sitting with her two cousins. "My name is Wolfgang Schwarz and I would be honored to take you out on a date." "My name is Susan Decker" she replied, "and I'm in the book." My father, like a good German Jew, bowed and left with a smile on his face. He proceeded to call every Susan Becker in the phone book for the next two days with no luck till he remembered Decker not Becker and phoned her up. They went out that night and were engaged 2 weeks later, married 6 weeks after that. So you see Miss Brown and all you worry warts who think there is no hope on the bus, I say to you I and my brother are living proof of what magic the bus holds for us all.

3 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Blogger gina said...

Awww, that is such a sweet story! Thanks for a wonderful moment in a long crappy day!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger concha said...

wow...married in six weeks. it usually takes me that long to accept the fact that i have to stop making out with other boys.

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, I love it....thanks for that beautiful story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home