Thursday, January 12, 2006

Because Oprah said it was OK

I just finished reading A Million Little Pieces by James Frey about 45 seconds ago. I borrowed it from a friend over New Years who said it was great (Thanks Nick) and I agree. It was arresting and original and written in a new way for me that helped push the envelope of how one can deliver human emotion through the written word.

But around page 350, news started breaking that the story of James wasn't true. That he had fabricated his Jail time and other facts for effect. I followed the story as I was finishing the book. I was already past the point of no return, already on James' side. His memoir, his story, was already a part of me and was looking at things through his perspective, not through the eyes of The Smoking Gun's website (a division of court TV) who broke this tasty little morsel of gossip.

Last night was the climax for this story when he appeared on Larry King. And though I still had about 40 pages to go I decided to watch.

The central theme I think of James' life is to see truth. Truth is not fact, to be sure, but something must ring true to you to believe it. And for James that meant that though he had compressed time, changed names, ages, and specifics, his message is what was true. And I wouldn't dispute it unless it was for effect. If it's for better reading, shame on you James for warping something that needed no embellishment. But I don't know where that line was, I don't think I'll ever know. He could have stayed true to himself the entire time, with or without the changes. I won't go into specifics out of respect for the book so whoever reads this and hasn't finished or started A Million Little Pieces has a chance to read it in peace.
At the end of the Larry King show, Larry said he was going to go over his normal time because Oprah was on the phone. The reason James' book is so big is because Oprah picked it for her book of the month club in October. And questions kept arising: will Oprah stand by her decision, follow James' lead of sticking to truth, not fact? Because it was a memoir, not an autobiography. And she did. She said the book doesn't change how much it can help those in need of it, and reveal to those who want to open themselves up to what kind of world addiction can be. Frank McCourt the man who basically reinvented the memoir genre, has not come under this kind of scrutiny, nor has any other memoir writer. Nor do I want them to. It is a subjective style that should be held up to the standard of truth, not fact.

I guess I just have to ask myself. Do I feel lied to?

No I don't.

Because whether what happened to James happened exactly as he wrote it or how it exactly actually happened, I believe the same James would be before us. No different.

And I'm happy Oprah and I see eye to eye on this. I hope those of you who take her word for Law, and I know who you are, take what she said last night, as what I am saying here today, for a good thing. Honor truth over facts because facts, black and white, come without an agenda, to be used as the person telling them sees fit. Truth is always good and always well intentioned and always the quickest path in life. A lie cannot contain truth, but it can contain facts. I have seen this too many times in politics and botched friendships. (Once is enough frankly). Honor truth and you will find the world a lot more welcoming than if you just stick to the facts.

4 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Blogger concha said...

aw man. you know i'm working on reuters now. and we're delaing with this same philisophical issue. facts, truth, bias, bla bla bla. and i was readn your blog to take a little copy break. ;)

but honestly, this shit is redic. what? these people want their fucking $14 back? cause it wasn;t exactly detail by detail true? memiors are SUPPOSED to be embellished. otherwise they'd be boooooring.

like i told dan, it's like the move a few good men. except when he says, "i want the truth!" jack nicholson replies, "you'd be bored by the truth."

ok, back to work.

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, I had no idea that the book I lent you was so full of controversy until I saw Larry King yesterday (or indeed that it was on Oprah's book list). I agree with you for the most part -- the important thing is the message of the book and the fact that he recovered from his addition. Small details and even his criminal record are not really worth arguing about. And hey, even if the whole book was made up, it's still a damn fine bit of writing!

So how much of Bill Clinton's "memoir" do you think was made up? :)

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger gina said...

People are insane, sometimes! Whyeee do we care THAT much? Who did this guy piss off? Honestly.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Single, Party of One said...

Today I had a coffee, went to the gym and then to the grocery store.

(SFX: crckets chirping)

Oh, I forgot, I smoked some crack, blew a couple of guys on the corner and then put my head in an oven.

That'll be $14.95.

True.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home