Friday, January 27, 2006

Because Oprah said it wasn't OK

I can't believe I'm still writing about this. Oprah had to have James Frey back on her show to chastise him, tell him he betrayed millions of readers, and basically call him a liar. This guy's really getting the PR shit kicked out of him. I'm not going to defend the "untruthiness" of his work especially because his main theme for how he should live his life is by how he judges things to be true or not, but why can't we let this shit go? We've got a news cycle filled with bad guys and bad stories to make us focus our hate on. But I guess we always want the light hearted villain in our lives too. Someone we can point to and say "I'm better than him." Linda Tripp was great for that! I guess it's cause we can't identify with Hamas or that unpronounceable leader of Iran Amenedijadihadedad. We need someone who we think could have been us but we're glad we're not. That's probably it. Right?

2 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Siapiau said...

i was looking forward to reading your blog this morning because i knew you'd have something about this. and i was right!

this whole few-weeks scandel has provided me with some entertainment and conversation fodder for water aerobics, but at the end of the day, i do feel really bad for frey.

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll bet you anything that all the shit Frey's been through this past couple of weeks drives him back to abusing alcohol or crack again. Aren't we still allowed to say that it's at least a good story that he wrote? Geez!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home