Saturday, July 08, 2006

If the Devil Wears Prada, does God Wear Gucci?

A benefit of the mono is time to go to the movies. So yesterday I saw The Devil Wears Prada. Rather good for a chick flick, but I'd still put it in the chick flick category: no depth, emotional swings based on very little actually happening, and hotness for the sake of inner beauty rather than for the sake of hotness.
But it made me think about some of the changes I've been going through lately. Most of you know my clothing line as that of a cartoon character, the same jeans and sneakers for like 6 months straight with a t-shirt roundup that's recycled every week and a half to two weeks. Nothing much to write home about, but hey, there's reliable old Jaime with the same shit on every day. And then...
Jessica took me to Woodbury Commons. For those of you not from the Northeast, Woodbury Commons is a shopping center outlet of about 300 stores approximately 2 hours north of NYC. I hear you got a lot of that on the west coast, but it's freakin Mecca over here to a lot of people. There are even Japanese tours of the place. Anyway, I got in one day a few shirts from Banana, and get this: three pairs of shoes. 1 Merrill, 1 fancy pants converse with no laces, and one pair of shoe like substance that I don't even know what it is but man is it haute couture! And I've stolen some very nice Hush Puppies from my bro. I also got my first socks that are only ankle high. I feel very weird without sockage on my ankles, but I'm trying. FYI - apparently if you tell the woman behind the counter at Hush Puppies that you should get a discount on Merrill's because they're owned by the Wolverine brand which your agency handles you'll get the employee discount of 20% no questions asked. Pretty neat, try it some time.
I've noticed that since college I seem to have a lot more girl than guy friends but it took Jessica to actually start dressing me differently. And it's a slow process, granted, I revert easily, but she's on my fashion like yellow to a rain coat. Brand names never really made much sense to me, you put an A/X on a shitty 75 cent t-shirt and all of a sudden it's not $10, it's $50. And that's on sale! I may have to hock branding on others if I want to take home a pay check, but that still doesn't mean I understand why, when I was in Paris on the Champs Elyse and Concha came across the Louis Vuitton store she ran to it like she was in Chariots of Fire only to fall to the ground, crushed like a her soul had been deflated because it wasn't opening for a few months. Nor does it explain why my male La Jolla ECD takes us all out for pedicures, including yours truly and walks around in Louis Vuitton sandals all day.
A little help people.

3 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger concha said...

as i recall, actually, we couldn't find the entrance. the crushed feeling came more from the realization that i was a poor ad student and could not afford to drop 8 Gs on a wallet from the original louis in pareeeee.

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to this post...a couple of years ago I decided that I was not dressing "my age." (Thanks a lot, Queer Eye!) So with the help of my girlfriend, I bought some new button-down shirts and jeans with a slight flair at the bottom that were relatively tight on me and weren't falling off my non-existant ass. I actually wore them, especially during the winter months, but over time, I decided that I'm just more comfortable wearing untucked crappy polo shirts from Old Navy with jeans and sneakers. Of course, I work in an environment that doesn't actually embrace high fashion (laboratory scientists aren't exactly into culture). But it's weird...I used to feel awkward in college because I didn't dress up enough, but now that I'm in my late 20's, I would rather just dress like a slob.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger danyyboyy said...

I think my fashion sense needs a psychiatrist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home